We are completing our World Health Day 2016 celebrations in support of the World Health Organisation by featuring the last instalment of our healthy and nutritious recipes.
Here is our recipe for a spring vegetable and chicken soup. For thousands of years, the remedial uses of chicken soup have been passed down through the generations as a real comfort food which holds several health benefits.
Spring Vegetable and Chicken Soup
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 courgettes, roughly chopped
- 100g orzo pasta
- 50g frozen peas
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 200g cooked chicken, shredded
- A small bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Add olive oil to pan and heat
- Add all vegetables and stir until soft
- Add 2 litres of chicken stock and bring to the boil
- Simmer for 1 hour
- Add the orzo and simmer for 10 minutes
- Season to taste and serve with fresh parsley on top
Click here if you would like to speak to someone from Morris Care about caring for a relative with diabetes or any other queries.
For more information about WHO visit www.who.int