Furthering on from the Morris Care ‘Advice For Families’ page, see below for a number of useful questions to ask yourself when choosing the perfect residential care home for yourself, a friend or a family member. Answering the following types of questions should help you to create a checklist for your search.
- Where do I start? – Firstly ask for recommendations, whether from friends, relatives or even your GP.
- Location – Is it important for the home to be near family and friends? If so, what distance limit would you have in mind?
- What kind of area would you like the home to be in? Would you prefer to be in the countryside with country views? Or would you prefer to be closer to a town centre with transport links?
- What type of care would you be looking for? Long term residential care? Physical disability care? Dementia care? Palliative care? What level of care services would you require?
- Requirements – What would you require from your accommodation? Would you prefer en suite facilities? Would you like a TV point in your room? Would you like attractive gardens to sit in?
- Food – What kind of food facilities would you be expecting? Flexible meal times? Any special dietary requirements? Would you want the option of eating in your room?
- Visiting Hours – What are the home visiting times? Are visitors able to visit at any time in the day? Is there a visiting area where you can sit and chat privately?
- Is transport available? Would you expect the home to have a mini bus or the alike to transport their residents?
- Will there be regular outings? Would you be expecting regular trips and social activities arranged at the home?
- How much will it cost? What kind of budget do you have in mind? Will you be able to benefit from funding from the social services?
There are hundreds of questions to ask when choosing the right residential care home for yourself or a loved one, as there are when choosing any new home. However, you can be rest assured that at Morris Care we treat every resident as an individual. We are committed to providing bespoke, quality, specialist care, as well as a relaxing and well-presented home with optimum facilities.
At Morris Care, we know that choosing a residential care home for a friend, parent of family member is not an easy decision. For this reason we provide free trial days at each of our 8 care homes in Shropshire and Cheshire to give potential residents the opportunity to meet staff and current residents whilst getting to know the home and the care services provided.
If this would be of interest to you, please contact your chosen Morris Care Home to book an appointment.